I'm convinced that baseball players for the first two months of their season, at least spring training, are livin' the dream. It is quite possibly one of the coolest things in the world to go to. It buries any regular season game. Maybe it's the anticipation of the coming season or being outside, congregating with a lot of out-of-towners on vacation in the hot sun, but it has a completely different feel than any game I've ever been to.
The fans just love the players. The players are signing autographs. The sun is shining. Everyone wants to see the players. It's just a totally cool atmosphere. I can't really articulate how I feel about it. I will definately make this a family vacation when I'm married. At least for me and the kid (assuming the wife approves). Baseball at it's finest. The beginning of a new year.
It took me back to actually loving the game again. I have always loved baseball and consider it a passion of mine but this just re-ignited an old love. I just sat there and loved warm-ups, listened to the fat beer salesmen tell the crowd it's never too early to start drinking and the feeling of being at the park. It was like a kid going to his first game. I loved everything about it.
Mom and dad even felt the same. I think they enjoyed it as much as me. Well, their 64 and 62 year old bodies probably enjoyed the break after I left but they had a blast as well. They were troopers too. They hung in there through the heat and longevity of the game and just watched. That's what makes hangin with my parents enjoyable.
Anyway, I'm back, I've experienced something new but I love my home. It's where I belong. I like it here. But it'll always be nice to know that I can go feel like a kid in Arizona once a year and do nothing but watch baseball.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Matt, whenever we're together I feel like a little schoolboy. On a more serious note, I was talking to Dave on monday & we are both feeling the need to go out & have a catch. You could come and yell at us like McNutt used too. It would be great. Then we could get some diamond girls...wait...then you could get some diamond girls...
And you didn't mention. At spring training, did you go for your coors light & seeds?
You know, I just couldn't bring myself to it. I just couldn't spend the money on the beer. But it is indeed a great thing, Coors light and salty sunflower seeds. I know some may laugh but it is awesome. It tastes so good together.
It's all about European football here...I've mentioned baseball a few times and students are like..."miss Jen...baseball is boring..." I try and convince them it's an American novelty...It's synonomous with American culture and past times. Only one class I have has ever played baseball and they played it with a former American teacher. Maybe next year I'll bring a bat and ball and educate them in the finer things of American culture...
Good idea. Baseball and soccer are one of the finer things in this life. But I'm biased pretty much to any normal sport. ie., football, soccer, baseball, basketball, etc...
Post a Comment