Sunday, December 07, 2008

Updates


I started taking a dance class. Yes, I said it, a dance class. Friday nights, "I'm bringin' sexy back" baby.

Alright, I'm not a dancer and no, I don't even remotely know how to "bring sexy back." I just like the phrase.

I'll bet you are wondering about these pictures of Jason Taylor and Warren Sapp.

I've got a new found respect for those men. And Emmett Smith, well, the man won Dancing with the Stars.

I've come to one conclusion: dancing is hard. It's difficult to learn. It takes so much practice and time.

I learned the "night club two step" on Friday night. Well, at least the very basics of it. I have to say, I'm going back. I had so much fun.

Truthfully, I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it really was. I caught on pretty quickly and just kept working on the basics. Luckily, Nicole was very patient with me and she's a good teacher. She's got a history of dancing.

Her parents are teaching this class every Friday so we're going to start attending. They're pretty frequent on the dancing scene and they've got it down pretty good.

I had a good time. It was different than what I'd normally do and I think that's the greatest part because I did something outside my box. And, I'm on my way to "bringing sexy back."

*******************************

I went to Las Vegas again this last week. It was fun. I continued my streak to 4 times in a row now that I'm in bed by 9:00 pm. I'm in Las Vegas and in bed that early. It's pathetic but that's me. I'm not a party man. I like Vegas for the architecture and the lights. Maybe some good food too.



The food this time was disheartening. I paid $25 for the buffet at the MGM Grand. I thought nothing but greatness would be served there. Nope! It was bad. I'm going to cut them some slack that it was an off day for them when I was there. I can't believe the MGM would not be good. I'm not going to believe it.



The new volcano at the "Mirage" was amazing. I love watching this kind of stuff. I'm also a sucker for the fountains at the "Belagio." Freakin' sweet stuff. Like I said, I enjoy the lights, architecture and the imagination of it all.



It's so fake though. All the supped up cars, the perfection of everything. I don't like that. What I really hate is how perfect most of the women look. Their hair, make-up, boob jobs, perfect clothes and jewelry. It's not real. There's nothing to that. No character.

*********************************

I taught the youth class today. We talked about "going to church" vs. "being the church." It was good. I think I communicated the point well. I think the greatest thing they could have gotten from today was that going to church is only for a few hours a week. It's what we do with the rest of the week that matters: taking what is in us and sharing it with others through our day to day interactions.

I think it's hard for that age group to grasp that God wants to use the talents, relationships and interests they have to show love and acceptance to those they associate with.

I think it's hard for them to think that Christians are normal people because so many others have made it weird or embarrassing for them.

**********************************

I got to hang with Nicole today. We watched "Blood Diamond" It was good. Pretty gory though. I can't handle gory too often. I had too much of it when I was younger and it just stirs something sour in me.

Supposedly, there's some factual information to that movie. That is so depressing to think that humanity can do that to people. Worthless killing and forcing people to live in bondage. I hate to think that we as humans aren't past that. But, I know we're not.

I'd recommend the movie. Especially to open our eyes to what some people have to go through. Nobody should have to endure that.

**********************************

I can't forget a good piece of random/useless knowledge... (I gave this one before but I came across it again)

"One self-help book in Japan claims clenching your butt 100 x's a day fights depression."

Wow!!!

7 comments:

laura said...

Matty, I think its awesome that you are dancing. real men dance.
we really liked blood diamonds, tough stuff to watch, but a great film.
I think I will start a study on this butt clenching thing... sounds interesting.

No(dot dot)el said...

oh my matty, i love the quote- i'm bringing sexy back. thanks for making my day with that one. and go matty go matty go matty!!

Erica said...

i watched blood diamond and it's hard to believe what some people have lived through or what some kids have gone through. Made me more grateful and compassionate

miss jessica said...

Are you sure it's not grabbing your husbands booty 100x's a day fights depression? Like Laura, I think I will have to do my own little experiment...I won't let you know how it goes :)

Matty C. said...

Jessica, I expect nothing less from you and Ben. As a matter of fact, I do believe that should take away anyones depression. And please, don't let me know how your experiment goes. I know how that will work out for Ben.

digapigmy said...

wow, convicts must all be fairly happy then.

scoeyd said...

Clench away, Matty.