Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tithing & Skating

Last night I went shopping at Smith's. It's my grocery store. I know where stuff is located, it's clean and it's pretty close. I'm not a shopper though. I miss things. I'm one of those guys that has to go up and down isles, across the store and back many times. So, I guess when I say I know where things are located, I mean the basic things that I eat or need. Nothing else.

Last night while shopping, I remember walking the chocolate chip isle. I guess that would be the baking isle but to me it's the chocolate chip isle. Anyway, I remember this older gentleman walking with a cart and he was very picky about what he grabbed and when he did, he only grabbed one thing.

This made me remember hearing about some senior citizens who are living off of social security and some can't afford to eat, maybe only even cat food. Immediately, I felt terrible. I started wondering if this was one of those people. I watched him a little, not trying to stare, just to see if I could tell what he was buying. I couldn't tell. So, I continued my shopping.

This didn't stop my thinking though. It only made it worse, actually.

Something I've been thinking about throughout 2008 is my tithing. Why do I do it? What does it do? Where is it going? Is it the most beneficial place to be putting that money?

I guess I've been wondering this because throughout 2008, there have been times when I have wanted to put my money elsewhere. For instance, there's a family who I work with whose father has cancer and they don't have insurance. Or, for needy, elderly folks like the one mentioned above.

This is my question... Is it still tithing when you don't give it to the church? What about me seeing a need and giving that money to them personally? To me, that seems more practical. It meets specific needs and ultimately, isn't that what Christ would have us do? Meet those needs where they can be impacted on a more personal, practical level?

***************************************




We went ice skating Sunday. It was definitely outside my box. But, lately, outside my box has been very fun. I had a good time. Not to mention "Dreamers Coffee House" afterward. They have a phenomenal "English Toffee Latte." It was quite possibly one of the best tasting coffee's I have ever had.


The "Age," Sandra and Nicole's friend, Kari and Carson, went with us. I like group pow-wow's.

The ice rink was nice. Water puddles everywhere though. It was way too warm outside. The puddles made crashing even more intimidating.

The little kids out there are invincible. They skate everywhere, fast and out of control. But dude, they can get up every time they fall. I sure miss those days. It's not quite like that any more.

2 comments:

Scotty Do said...

Matty,

I think there are definately two separate, but equal, principles that you are dealing with here. There are "tithes" and then there are "offerings"

Here's my take on the differences of the two and how they apply to what you've been thinking about...

Tithe is the first 10% of your money that you have earned that you give directly to God. When I am wrestling with a kingom principle, I always feel its helpful to go back to the first instance of the word or action appearing in the bible. In this case, that would be Abraham giving a portion of his spoils of war to Melchizidek (a type of Jesus). Later, in Numbers, God instructs the nation of Israel to give their tithe to the Levites "as thier inheritance". What I get from that is that 1) our tithe is to go to God and 2) the tithe is how we support the modern priests...our pastors and in larger part, our church bodies. This 10% is to go to "..my storehouse that there may be food in my house..." (Mal. 3:10)

Offerings are what you do with what’s left; what is over and above the first 10%. This is where you would get the cash to help the old dude out or give to a hungry family or whatever it is that God leads you to give. My line of thinking about that is do it where ever God leads you to and do it often. It doesn’t have to be to your church, but it could. It could be to anyone, anywhere. In Exodus 35:29, the Israelites brought materials for the building of the tabernacle and all the garments as their hearts moved them. This was above and beyond their tithe.

To sum it up, I see the tithe as a mandatory directive from God along the same lines as being baptized. It’s not an option. If you read the whole of chapter 3 of Malachi God even goes so far to say that if you’re not tithing, you’re robbing Him. Offerings, on the other hand are something that is more than a requirement, you do it as God moves you and for however much he moves you…but it never replaces that first 10%.

It’s awesome to see that God is moving your heart towards giving to those in need. I think one of my spiritual gifts is giving and so I can say with confidence that there is NOTHING like the feeling you get when you give beyond the requirement and when God moves you. It’s such a great glimpse of what God has done for us in giving us Jesus. There was no requirement, there was no mandate. He did it because he LOVES us and it was not something that we could ever accomplish on our own. By giving to those in need we get to participate in God providing for those who cannot provide for themselves….it’s incredible.

Matty C. said...

Nice explanation buddy!