Saturday, August 11, 2007

Week 2

Week 2 was somewhat better. Still really boring in the classroom. I'm meeting some pretty interesting people in the academy though.

Thusday we had officer survival. This is how to not die on the streets when confronted with gunshots, knives or physical confrontation. Brutal class but bearable. An FBI agent came and taught the class. Very interesting from his point of view. Not to mention that I've never even met an agent before. Anyway, really pretty cool stuff.

Friday, was emotional survival. That was terrible. Still bearable but we had to listen to actual tape from dispatch, more video and actually listen to survivors of gunshot and gunfights. To me, the actual dispatch tape was terrible because you could just here everything go from normal tape to chaos in a matter of seconds. I gave me the chills every time.

We actually watched, heard and met the officer involved in the shooting at Harrah's Casino in Lake Tahoe 2 years ago. Absolutely brutal. Chaos struck in a second, two officer's were shot and the victim died. Crazy stuff.

We met and listened to another officer from Montana. He was by himself and freezing. He shot a man pointing a gun at him from about 5 feet, was shot in the hip, shattering his hip and then fell down a hill and breaking the rest of his hip. He was bleeding and there was no help for about 45 mins. He had to crawl to get away from the other shooter. Absolutely brutal stuff and then to listen to the actual voices on tape is pretty disturbing.

We also had a test this week. I got a 92. Not too bad and a 100 on spelling and spanish phrases. I couldn't tell you what those spanish words are now though.

Pretty interesting week. Still tough being away from home.

For the last week, I had to be a squad leader. Easy stuff. You just have to make sure that your stuff gets done. For the next two weeks, I have to be the class leader. This job is busy. I have to report to the training officers. I have to lead all the stuff. Not exactly something I like to do. Oh well. I'm stretching.

This next week, I'm not too sure what is in store. More boring classroom days I think. We still have physical training 4 days a week. I'm doing very well in that. It's always been my high point. Running a lot, lot's of random muscle excercises. Leg lifts, push-ups, crunches, etc...

Anyway, some interesting stuff and some really boring crap. Can't wait to get out on the range in two weeks. 40 hours of shooting. That's a boys dream. We do get to do some pretty cool stuff.

1 comment:

Kurt Libby said...

hey matty.
sounds like life is crazy right now. hope you're having fun, when it isn't all brutal. i'm loving hearing about all the crazy stuff. talk to you later. --k.lib