I'm reading through "Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunset's and Sushi" again. It was good the first time but I don't remember much of it and I'm kinda on a little David Crowder kick so I thought I'd read through again.
Anyway, he touches on something that catches my attention in a new way. It's called "Lectio Divina." I thought Louie touched on it a while back. It got to me because I'm really struggling keeping my reading and prayer life, "fresh" so to speak (that's a gay word but it was the only thing I could think of). So I thought I'd give this a try.
Mr. Crowder calls it "a thoughtful,repeated reading and praying of a passage." He says that "as a phrase grabs you, ruminate on it. Turn it over in your heart. Let the scriptures squeeze you." Then "journal, paint, dance, sing, write. Let your encounter cause something to spill out." (I'm not really much of a dancer so I'm probably not going to give that one a second thought).
That was kinda inspiring to me. Especially since I'm longing for something "fresh." I want God to spill from my life. But the difficult part for me is the ruminating, turning it over in my mind, the dwelling on it. That is such a tough task for me. My mind is in marathon mode most of the time and ruminating on one thing is like asking a dog not to return to it's own pooh.
The great thing is, I'm always up for a challenge. The way I know that God moves and reveals Himself, I know that His truth and life will be revealed in and through me no matter how my brain works.
This is just something I thought I'd try. I know God reveals himself in so many ways. I just want to hear what He has to say and do in me so I can do some good spilling for Him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Some might also call that a mantra, but I guess its connections to eastern mysticism give that term a bad connotation.
Tonight at church, I was struck by the phrase, "I will change your blessings into praise."
That's something that I want to ruminate upon. I spent so much time praying for a job, and now that I have one I immediately feel distance from God because my mind is on other stuff. I need to not forget what God has done for me, so I will turn his blessings into praise.
However, I, like you, will not be dancing.
I could actually see you dancing Oaks.
"My Hope" is an all time favorite song of mine....I could ruminate on that song for hours especially the chorus. Great stuff...Didn't know he wrote a book. Matty, you speak another language! "Lectio Divina" sounds greek to me.
He's actually written two books. I haven't read the second yet though.
"My Hope" is an awesome song that is frequently listened to on my ipod while running. It keeps a great pace.
Post a Comment