I've never used drugs. I've never had the desire. But I understand why people use them. Unfortunately, they serve a purpose. They make you feel better, supposedly.
I understand what it's like to crave relief. To need something to heal the hurt. Complete desperation to feel some sort of comfort.
People just want to feel okay. That's what they do. Bring comfort, excitement, relief. Only for a short time, then they entice you and choke you, tear away all that is important.
************************
"Sometimes the thing we want most in life are the things that will kill us."
-Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz
************************
I think about what I tell my probationers everyday - "do the right thing." I believe in it, to my core!
I think and try to apply what it really means. It's hard to do. Not only that, but you offend people by doing it. It's almost bothersome to some. When one lives by and is true to it, it bugs people. You definitely make a statement.
Are people really ready for it? Is it what people really want out of you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Today I met with a girl here in Reno who is a typical probationers story, I'm sure. And what I kept saying to her (and what she could encourage her boyfriend who is in jail for selling drugs) is that every day we have a choice. Every day we can choose to make good decisions. It boils down to that for all of us, doesn't it, whether drugs and probation are involved or not.....?
Post a Comment