Thursday, November 22, 2007

Georgia's article

I received an article from Georgia this morning that I thought was very interesting. It refers to a few things that I am currently unfamiliar with, have researched in the past but I am not current on them. But I did want to comment on one thing that this guy critiques that I disagree with. The article is at
http://reason.com/news/show/123496.html

The topic that I wanted to comment on is the debate on what our government is doing and the legality of it all. I'm not current on the Patriot Act and some of the other concepts this guy talks about. I have learned, discussed and even researched this stuff in my undergrad but currently, I am not keeping up with it all.

This is a very basic concept and may not hold validity but it's how I appear to justify and agree to my basic understanding with what the government is doing.

I look at this terror metaphorically like a family. The U.S. is a family. President Bush is the father, so to speak. He is entrusted to provide, protect, establish vision. When any of that is compromised, he has to do what he needs to to continue providing, protecting and giving us vision for our futures.

Now I look at this if this were my family. I am the one who is responsible to provide for my family, keep them safe and also lead them to help them pursue vision for their life.

If I'm not providing for my family, they go without. If someone comes into my home, the safety of my family is compromised and I will not allow that. When that happens, fear comes and strips away all form of vision that their freedom offers them. Therefore, all or their potential hope for their future is stripped from them because they are living in fear of what could happen.

As a father, which I am not one yet but can only imagine, wants the absolute best for their children. My buddy Ben, who has a one month old baby, is already looking out for the welfare of his daughter months and even years down the road. That's what protectors do. I promise you, that Ben would do whatever he had to do to keep his baby safe.

A friend of mine at work says that their are only few things he's willing to go to prison for and they are his two daughters and his wife. I can pretty much say that for any father. They will go to any extent to keep their family safe. Whatever it takes.

Now going back to President Bush. He's doing whatever it takes to keep us safe. I don't think it's over power. He took an oath and I truly do believe that whomever takes that oath has our best interests at heart. The president may be pushing the envelope on some issues like the Patriot Act but it's in our best interest. He may be going about it the wrong way but safety matters.

I can honestly say that I would go to the greatest extremes, push the envelope as far as I could and receive a little slack to keep my family and my home safe. That is only human.

People can critique the President all they want but he has a job to do.

The author also makes the comment "I’d rather have freedom with danger than slavery with safety." It's a great comment. I probably even agree to some extent but he makes it sound like we live in communist Russia or communist China. We already have more freedoms than any other country in the world. So what, if the boundaries are tightened up a little. If you have something to hide, it needs to be brought out into the light. If you have nothing to hide, great, keep enjoying those freedoms. The rules invoked over people who have something to hide won't be impressed over you and you can continue in your freedoms.

I also don't agree with the word "sheep." I wouldn't say that because we agree or allow the President to do something we should be classified as his "sheep" or mindless followers. I agree with the President but I also disagree with him.

Pastor Louie is a leader and I follow him. Not mindlessly but I do follow him. Does that make me his sheep. In a sense yes, but in a sense, no. Sheep follow mindlessly. We don't have to follow mindlessly. We have opinions and that is what is great is that I don't have to agree with everything he says. But yes, I do follow him because he is a good leader. The same goes for President Bush. I don't agree with everything he says, but for the author to call me the Presidents "sheep" refering to myself as a mindless follower is not accurate.

I did think this was a pretty interesting article. I may be too into the government but I still believe that the country is a blessing to live in. Times are changing and it can't remain as it did in the past. I know that it's only going to get worse. It's inevitable. We don't live in the same world we did that created the constitution 231+ years ago. Things are going to have to change a little.

No comments: