Monday, August 03, 2009

Potential

I can't get the word potential out of my mind. Louie mentioned it during his speech on Sunday and I'm continually brought back to it. I guess it's because I'm a person who is continually evaluating my life and wondering if I'm living up to my full ability.

Dictionary.com defines potential as this... 1) possible, as opposed to actual, 2) capable of being or becoming.

I'm an analytical person. I like knowing the in's and outs of things. Especially myself. So, I sit and analyze, am I capable? Yes! Am I living up to that capability? That's the question. That's what I want to know.

I want my full potential to be uncovered. I want to "become" what I am to become. I truly believe I have the ability to live up to my full potential, I just don't think I fully allow what's covered in me to be uncovered.


There may or may not be more thoughts to come from this. I'm just stuck on the thought of potential for now.

3 comments:

Hillary said...

I think our potential is always changing. The older we get the more we learn, the more we are capable of and the more potential we have. I don't think that we will ever get to a point where we don't have potential to do anything else and I like that. I don't want to be the same person forever.

digapigmy said...

at some point i think potential is a bad thing. it's like you never achieved. you don't want to be a 5th year quarterback and have people mention your potential instead of your accomplishments.

Matty C. said...

I've also thought that looking and weighing my potential or someone else's potential is not fair because we're always looking to what we could be in the future vs. being content with who we are now and where we are currently at in life. It's not allowing us or someone else to just be.

I really believe that is why some people may lack confidence in themselves because we are always looking to what someone could be instead of allowing them to exist in the now.