Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wednesday thoughts

Yesterday I mentioned that I have been listening to Joyce Meyer's, "A Patient Attitude" podcast. It continues to be pretty interesting. She made a comment today that got me thinking. Simple, but thought provoking. Here it is..."the present moment we have now is the greatest gift that God gives us."

This is not something that I struggle with too much but I want to get it right. I see myself as a pretty simple guy who doesn't need much. I look forward to things and events but I don't think those things define my existance. I don't live for those things. I don't have the mentality of..."if I only had this, I would be happy, if I was only with this person, I would be happy, if I drove this car or had that house, I would be happy." It's not me. But I will say that there are times I do get caught looking outside the present. I think everyone probably does at some point.

I want to enjoy my present moment. I used to be the guy that had to be doing something all the time just to make the time fly by and not have to think about things. I'm currently and have in the past been really trying to work through my time of "living in the now" and "enjoying the now." Honestly, I enjoy it so much.

I was dreading this time off from work. What would I do? But my mentality has been to eat it up and enjoy whatever it is that I am doing at the time. It's fun. Not the exhilarating fun of a theme park but the enjoyable fun I can have just being me and figuring things out.

Like I said, I don't necessarily stuggle so much with this topic, but I did in the past. Very badly actually. I like the changes in my life. I can sense some growth, even if it's slow.

********************

I had a good conversation with Nicole last night. We're reading "Boundaries in Dating" together. It's pretty good. It creates some conversation between us and points out a lot of issues that may already exist or could potentially exist.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I'm a lot of those issues. That feels really good admitting that (sarcasm added).

One specifically, is that I make decisions based on being single. Of course, I am single, but I catch myself not thinking of Nicole when I make decisions. That's something I need to work on.

********************

Not too much reading today going on. I kinda need a break. I'm still working some in but not like that last couple of days.

Instead, there's an NCIS marathon that I'm sort of watching while I complete other things that I'm trying to get done or concentrating on.

********************

Nicole and I are watching 24 season two and I think she's ready to be done with it. We have two more episodes remaining. Nicole's thought: "why can't they just make a movie out of it? It only lasts 2 hours, not 22 episodes."

I think I'm slowly rubbing off on her though. We've made it through 2 season's so far or she's put up with two seasons of it for me.

No comments: