I was talking to a guy at work the other day about the Giants acquiring Barry Zito this year. I mentioned to him that I was disgusted how the Giants will spend $126,000,000 on a pitcher who hasn't really had the greatest of careers. He's decent but nothing great.
Anyway, we got to talking and he opened my eyes to a new perspective on baseball. It's entertainment. He mentioned how there were no complaints out of us on how much movie stars made last year. It's what they do. They entertain.
My rebuttal to this was that they could at least get someone who is going to win. Coming from this guy, (lets just say he's signed a few of my cards), said that in his past, there were days when he could throw anything and would strike people out and there were days when he had it and still got lit up. It's not always about winning every game. They can't do it. The pressure is huge and you can't go out and physically win every game. It's about going out to the field, entertaining those paying customers and bringing in the dinero. Owners still make money even though they are paying the big bucks.
That was pretty mind boggling to me. But every person at that level is a great athlete. It's who can go out day in and day out and entertain the best.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think that is bull. Why don't you go ask the guys in a Major League dugout if they would rather have a teammate who "entertains" the fans or one who wins ballgames. Also, if it's all about entertaining me, as a fan, I fricking love it when you get a win - that's entertainment
I think Sean Connery might have said it best in "The Rock":
"Losers always talk about doing their best; winners go home and ..." well, you know the rest.
I don't disagree with you there but it's just a job. They go to work and do their best just like we do. They leave after a bad game just like we do work. Some days they got it, some days they don't. They want to win too but it's just a job to them. Another day, another dollar.
i think that is what i love so much about baseball vs. other ball sports because baseball is played out everyday and some days are great and some not so great but it's not like they don't get a chance to prove their worth over some time. they don't just play one game with one team and that's it they get lots of chances. i love that about baseball. i think they should get paid the big bucks because in the long run taking all the fame and fortune away their bodies go thru the ringer for our enjoyment.
Dude, I wanted to give you a head's up that I've got to cancel lunch this Sunday as I forgot it was Mother's Day . . . that means I've got to find a way to honor my wife . . . they should really call it "Wife's Day."
Post a Comment