I was reading through the book of James and I came across 3:18 and it says "And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of goodness." My question is this. What does a peacemaker look like (not physically)? What are their characteristics, personality traits? Is this person passive, decisive, outgoing? What is James communicating that this person possesses?
Does it go back to 3:17? "...It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no partiality and is always sincere." Is that what a peacemaker is?
Jack Hayfords Bible Handbook says that these people are ones who allow God's Holy Spirit to willingly do these works of grace in them. Is that all it is? Verse 3:17? Is it more? I am missing something? Let me know. It am very interested.
James 5:14 says this. "Are any among you sick? They should call for the elders of the church and have them pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord."
What is the significance of oil? Why is it that people place oil on my forehead or I anoint my home with oil as I am praying through it? I know I do it because this verse above says to, but why?
I know I am sounding much like a three year old right now with the "why's" but, oh well. So, "why."
Well, I think I'm off to Sand Harbor right now. Please, feel free to give opinions. I really want to know. I guess this may be something I should know but I don't so that's why I'm asking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think peacemakers refers to people who, by their lives, bring or impart peace into circumstances, lives, and relationships. I don't think it has to do with having a passive personality.
Here is what the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia says about anointing oil:
4) Among the Hebrews it was believed not only that it effected a transference to the anointed one of something of the holiness and virtue of the deity in whose name and by whose representative the rite was performed, but also that it imparted a special endowment of the spirit of (compare 1 Samuel 16:13; Isaiah 61:1). Hence the profound reverence for the king as a sacred personage, "the anointed" (Hebrew, YHWH), which passed over into our language through the Greek , and appears as "Christ".
When I first became a Christian, one of the verses that I found always tugging at me was Matthew 5:5 (Blessed be the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.) I used to take this to mean that when I had a disagreement with someone that I had to be the one to apologize, even if I had not been wrong. This was especially true of my relationship with my mom. But at some point I realized that being a peacemaker is not synonymous with being a doormat. Yes, we should "turn the other cheek" but that doesn't mean that we have to take blame for something we didn't do!!!
ya know matty- i would like to know the answer to that second question as well and as to the first i am a peacemaker.
peace out!!
Post a Comment