I was reading through 1 Kings 21 and it talks about how Jezabel had Naboth accused and stoned to death so that Ahab could have his land. I understand that the Lord came in and said that Ahab's family is going to die for this and be punished. What I don't understand is, in the end, Ahab humbles himself before the Lord so God decides to spare him. But, God then says "It will happen to your sons; I will destroy all his descendants."(v.29) I don't understand why the Lord spares the person who commits the act but punishes everyone else.
That gets me to another topic that I was thinking about when I read this. Generational curses and bondages. Why is it that God allows those curses from family lines to continue to the people that never had anything to do with it. It's like in the case with Ahab. He did it. He allowed his wife to have Naboth killed. It wasn't his kids or anyone else. It was him. The same goes in our lives. Why does God allow me to suffer for something or be harassed by the enemy for something that my family line exposed themselves to or struggled with many years ago. Why is it that we have to suffer with fear, anxiety, depression, alcoholism, lust, etc... because of them. Why doesn't our God hold them accountable for their actions and let us live our lives. It's hard enough as it is with our own life situations.
I know I sound kind of bitter with this one but it made me wonder why God would let someone off and then take out the rest of his family. They did not deserve death. They did not do anything.
I know I serve a God who has a reason and I know that he is a graceful God. I don't question that and I believe it with my whole heart. But I do get frustrated in knowing that my family struggled by and at times, I do. I know that my mom struggled with fear and anxiety for many years and my father struggled with medical problems. Why would God allow that in our family? What made my dad not deserve to have the life that I got to have growing up doing what other kids got to do? He didn't ask for health problems. Why did my mom have so much fear for so many years? She didn't deserve that. Why do I struggle with fear? Is that something that I asked for? Is there something that I did to receive it? No. I've struggled with it for as long as I can remember.
I hope and pray that one day God will reveal to me the "why's of life." I know He has a plan and I know that He allows all things to happen for the good. I know that my earthly eyes don't always see the big picture but I pray they would. I do know that He gives grace and perseverance to those who have to endure much. Please Lord, never let me forget that You have a plan for us and that nothing is to difficult for You to fix. Even the struggles that we have and live with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It's not just the bad things, but also the blessings that get passed on. The Bible says that the sins of the fathers are passed on for 4 generations, but the blessings to 1000 generations. It's part of the way God has made the world--our actions, good or bad, have an impact on not only our lives but on the lives of the people around us, especially our children. (Gen. 20:5-6)
I know you are right. The blessings flow abundantly in my family. It just seems that at times, we can only see the ones that affect us in negative ways. Thanks Georgia.
Also, because of Jesus, we have the right to receive deliverance from those curses.
Post a Comment