Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tommy G.

I love baseball. I love spring training and I'll probably even get back down to Arizona for my second year in a row of spring training. I have been keeping tabs on this Roger Clemens thing since the Mitchell report came out. I didn't really care too much about a lot of it because a lot of the players were no name guys. Yes, I do think it corrupts the sport but I didn't really care.

I did however, take an interest in Roger Clemens. I think he's pretty awesome and is really an icon for what baseball stands for in my generation. Barry Bonds is there too but he pretty much ruined it for me. But, I wanted and still do want to believe that Clemens is not guilty. The only thing now is that I don't believe it anymore.

He was one of those guys that I was happy to say that I got to see and wanted to be able to tell my kids about. Kinda like my dad getting to tell me about Mays, McCovey, Pete Rose, Nolan Ryan, etc. I don't know if I want to any more. My impression of who he is as a man is just tainted.

Anyway, I was reading an article today one ESPN.com about Tom Glavine. It got me thinking about the true icons that I've overlooked. Glavine, Smoltz, and many others I can't begin to name now that really are true athletes in my book. Those are the guys that make me love the game. They come in day in and day out for twenty years and know the true meaning of professional athlete. That's one of the reasons I love the game.

Here's the article I was reading. It got me all jacked about spring training and baseball coming back. (I still don't know how to do a direct link to the page. Sorry, I'll get it figured out.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3248198&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2

4 comments:

David said...

I'm with you, Matty. I hate that the best two players I grew up watching will not be in the Hall of Fame and I hate that every time someone has a good day, week, month, or season, I have to question whether or not they're clean.

Jim Thome is one of my favorites and I was really glad not to see his name on that list.

I'm also pretty excited to be just 30 minutes away from a major league team.

I've even decided to become a Royals fan; there's something about deciding to root for a crappy team that appeals to me.

Tickets will also be plentiful and cheap.

I'm going to get warmed up for the season by visiting the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in K.C. in the next couple of weeks.

Matty C. said...

Royal stadium is actually pretty cool. I went there when I was living there. Like you said, you'll always get tickets. I'd watch any team play baseball. They're still professional.

I actually went there to see Matt Williams play when he was with the Indians. He was and is still my favorite all time player. Ya, he used roids but I still haven't written him off like I have others. Kind of double standard but he was my childhood favorite to watch.

No(dot dot)el said...

we all know the best baseball team EVER, with the best team players is from the east coast, somewhere in the boston area....you might have heard of them they won the world series last year. RED SOXS ring any bells?? hee hee hee i make myself laugh :)

Matty C. said...

The Red Sox are pretty good. If you consider winning the World Series making you good?