A couple of times now, I catch myself wondering how the mind works and how I remember things or think of things from so long ago that have no relevance to anything that I am involved in or dealing with. Why is it that certain movements, touches or sights can bring on good or even bad memories? I only bring this up because over the last little while, it happens to me. I'll see or feel something and think of something so far out there.
Yesterday morning, at 5:00 am, on my way to work, for some reason I remembered this little kid that my mom used to baby sit for one week. He had fake front teeth, his mom drove an orange, beat up pinto, they never paid my mom and then they left town. Why is it that I can remember that sort of stuff out of nowhere but when someone at work asks me to do something, there are times I don't remember. It's amazing to me how the mind works.
I have a lot of memories from when I was young. I remember things that disturbed me and still affect the way I am today, I remember good things that framed who I am today as well. How is it that our minds get framed for the way that we think today? Or how is it that experiences that we have been through create a plethora of different emotions? Positive or negative.
I just know that in my mind there are things that set me up for joy and excitement and there are things that set me up for dread and fear. It's really funny to me how those things come back to us. I'm very interested in how the mind correlates activities we've been through with an emotion that we experience in the present.
I write this because I've been really interested in Tim's Lexapro blog. Why is it that certain experiences or thoughts seem to trigger anxiety? What causes the brain to retain that info, take you back to a certain situation and create an emotion along with that? It's just interesting to me. Confusing and frustrating mostly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
the brain is fascinating. firing synapses, baby. you should watch "what the bleep do we know" for some fun takes on how the brain works.
Post a Comment