Sunday, May 11, 2008

Comment from Tim

I'm thinking about Tim's speech today. One of the things he said was that "suffering happens. It's a part of life." I've grown up in church and I've asked this question before. It's been explained to me many times. I even understand what has been explained to me. But still I come back to the question of why would a God who loves so much allow suffering, sickness and pain to occur.

What I'm getting at is this. When I was younger, I remember going through some stuff in my life that really kind of messed me up. It was very painful, brought a lot of depression and frankly, it was just extremely hard to deal with. I remember my mom and dad saying that if they could take it away, they would.

What that showed me was that my mom and dad saw what kind of pain I felt. They felt it with me. Yet, here's a God who has the ability to take it away, yet doesn't. My parents said they would take it away if they could but they can't. They don't possess the ability. God does possess that ability but doesn't act on it. How/why is it that God won't take it away but my (human) parents would?

I look at Ben fathering baby Ellie. I know that if he had the ability to make her better when she's sick or not feeling well, he'd do it in a heartbeat, without question because he doesn't want to see her struggle.

God has that ability but still allows struggle and pain. Why?

I understand the biblical explanations people give me but I don't understand the practical reason.

One of the things that Tim said is we can trust God because He's God. I truthfully think that is all I have because it makes no sense any other way.

9 comments:

Matty C. said...

Please excuse the frankness of Please excuse these comments. I'm in one of those moods tonight. Tim also said that God can handle the questions, the why's?, etc...

Here's my complaint right now after thinking through it for a little while: I wouldn't do that do my kid. I'd help them. I wouldn't let them sit in pain and suffer and I wouldn't allow them to have to endure torment to learn/grow. He's God, He can figure out a way for us to learn it.

Destro Jones said...

Good post. "I don't know" has been a common theme in my walk with Christ.

Destro Jones said...

p.s. I'm not sure what my point was. But I am O.K. with it.

scoeyd said...

Hi Matt- miss me yet?

God isn't doing anything to you that is negative or hurtful- suffering happens because of the world we live in, & no one is exempt of the consequences of living in the world where we live...

The biblical reason (answers) to your questions are the practical reasons - crap happens. God gives us the means & the bandwidth to get through it. And better, He also gave Jesus to provide a means for us to have relationship with Him. To me, your questions have to do with perspective, semantics, & thinking that it's God's job to remove/prevent any pain, when in the real/practical world it's a byproduct of life. Like Teeeeem said.

Good post Matt. I miss you. Hope your week is good.

TimmyMac said...

Dude, I'm just glad someone was actually listening! Thanks for the feedback . . .

So many of my heroes in the bible questioned God and still chose to serve him even when they didn't like the answer, just like your doing . . . That makes you a hero to me . . .

Matty C. said...

I just don't understand. That's all.

SeƱor H said...

Good stuff Matty. I think if one doesn't struggle with this question, they aren't living in the real world.

It was a great speach Tim, you rock.

digapigmy said...

i remember thinking as i listend to the speech that i don't worry about bad things happening to good people, it's the converse that bothers me. bad things have to happen to everyone, i get it.

what pisses me off is when good things happen to bad people. they should at least suffer as much as i do.

Matty C. said...

Diga - converse? why do shoes bother you?

I know that was dorky. It's what first came to my head though. You're on my sight, I can say whatever I want.