I laying here in bed watching the "Deadliest Catch" and I was reminded of something that I wrote today in my journal during Lou's speech. I had some thoughts but I'm hoping for some feedback from people.
I've lately been examining my life and questioning what it looks like for me, in my day to day encounters, to live as a Christ follower. Here's a few short thoughts I came up with during church for myself:
1) I'm just a day to day guy, nothing special
2) I have my own internal struggles
3) I'd consider myself lower, middle working class
4) I have sin in my life, but I try to walk in Christ's grace
5) I try to recognize I'm only human
6) I have some abilities that others may not have and visa versa
7) I enjoy a plethora of different hobbies
I guess what I'm trying to communicate is that there is no specific look/image of a Christ follower. This is me on an average day. Some people think they have to get it together before they can follow Christ. If they are to look at my list of myself above, it's nothing special. It looks a lot like other peoples lists. I'm the average guy. I just have Christ.
I'm interested in how others view themselves. This is just a short list of what I was thinking about today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hmm interesting post Matty.
I’d have to say that on most days I just break it down to the day to day battles of faith and life and I just want to finish well. I’ve known lots of people whose flickering flame goes out. I want to make it to the finish line with oil still in my lamp, to use that story. So, it’s a daily choice to live life well, love God and love people along the way. Sometimes I’m making the mark and lots of times I’m not. For me, I remember where I came from. Still a sinner for sure yet now trying to walk out being created in His image. And so in walking that out, I do think there’s an element of being salt and light that comes through us to people around us, especially when we’re not trying but just living our Christ-following life. I like what you said because it really is true that when you look at our lives compared to anyone else we are just like other people in the world – average. In my opinion what makes us extraordinary is a blueprint that God holds (Psalm 139) and when we go to Him for help with expression there are certain spiritual gifts, talents, ways of doing and being and seeing that are expressed and it brings God glory…., then that’s what makes you YOU. Sorry for my long post. I like to ramble. Just call me chatter-box. :D
Awesome post Matty, and I love what you said Jen! I'm not nearly as poetic but the bottom line is it doesn't matter what we look like, or what we "do". It's the choices we make big and small every day that bring us closer or further from God. The closer we are, the better His light shines through us for others to see. The further...well, we're just like any other ordinary, average guy/girl out there. But when we are walking in God's will, our ordinary becomes extraordinary, and you never know where He is going to take us! I am finding the more I do what God wants me to do, and lean on Him instead of myself, the more freedom and joy I am experiencing in my life!
You have Christ.
Or, He has you.
:)
Post a Comment