Tuesday night was my first softball game since last spring. I had a blast. I kind of look at baseball as my favorite sport but I forgot the "jolt" or "rush" I get from playing it. Baseball/softball does it for me. At least playing it. I can't explain the "high" I get from running the outfield and just playing the game. I truly miss getting to do this stuff more often.
I remember why it is every kid wants to be a professional baseball player. It's the passion for the game that every kid has in their innermost being and it's weird how it continues to even into my thirties. I definately had it the other night. I felt that passion again as I ran on/off the field for the 6 short innings we played. I love feeling alive, feeling passion again. I don't have that in my day to day "hum drum" of life any more. I wish did.
I remember being one of those kids, having the passion to do anything to get to play ball forever, to put on a uniform everyday and just play. I haven't felt that in a long while. I miss it and I didn't even realize it. Maybe it's because I grew up, I would tell myself. After last Tues., I don't think I've grown up, at least in that area. I hope I go out again this week and feel that same passion for something again. I really do love it. I don't know what it is but I just love it.
*****************************
I've got some Van Halen on here now. It's AWESOME! "Jump" takes me back to my younger days, hangin' with my bro. Rock on...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I would play the crap out of some whiffle ball.
I think I could do that for hours in the right environment.
We used to play with a rag ball and one of those small wooden bats from professional games. I hope you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, we did that for hours on end. I never got old. It was like the "Sandlot." We always knew what we were doing, at what time, and where.
Or we could just play pickle. Those were the days.
I know exactly what you are talking about with the small wooden bat. I totally forgot about the rag ball, though. It never really hurt to get hit with one.
I remember doctoring whiffle ball bats so that we could hit tennis balls without them breaking.
That's still the most scientific thing I've ever done in my life.
I love rag balls. The ones they make now are awesome. They have seams, raised seams that allow for huge junk pitches & you can still throw a fastball with 90% of your hardball velocity.
wow. baseball nerds.
i never wanted to be a baseball player. the game bored me from my first year in t-ball. i don't ever remember playing baseball or any variation with friends. we always played football or basketball
I don't think there was any one sport we played more of until we got older.
When you're a kid, you don't mind playing a game with lots of people. But as you get older, it's easier to just go play basketbal with one or two friends.
Brent- I'm sorry you never played. It's only the greatest game on earth.
If you think about it, baseball is truly perfect game. Think about this...
1) if the base paths were 89 feet or 91 feet, there would not be as many close plays. Everyone would be safe because they got there in 89 feet and the ball got there too late or at 91 feet, everyone would be out. 90 feet allows the most close plays. It's the same for stealing any base too. One foot shorter or longer and each play wouldn't be close.
2) if home plate wasn't 60'6", breaking pitches wouldn't break at the right time, splitters would drop either too soon or too late, etc...
That was something my buddy told me a long time ago. His was a little more clear but he's on the right track. It's a game that is perfect.
Ya, it's a little slow, but it's a mental game.
Who cares if it's slow. If you're sitting around watching sports, you don't have anything else to do.
Post a Comment