"Outside the Lines" this morning was pretty interesting. It got my attention. At first, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought, there is no way that this is okay. Still, I'm not too sure if it's okay.
The topic, Kids (3 1/2 & up) beginning "Mixed Martial Arts" as a sport.
Wow! Is this even right?
I began thinking about martial arts. What is it teaching? Essentially, fighting, defense, self discipline, etc... But mostly, in my opinion, it teaches self control. Truthfully, I agree with this. I think martial arts is great tool for young people and adults as well. The main thing to me is that they are taught not to use this stuff unless there is no alternative (self control).
Next, I started thinking about boxing. I really like boxing. I think this is a great tool as well. I work with a bunch of kids who box and frankly, it's a good alternative for them. It gives them something to call their own. And they're good at it.
To my knowledge, boxing is one of those things like martial arts, they teach how to use self control and self discipline.
Yes, I think all these are violent sports but not quite as much as "Mixed Martial Arts." When I see MMA, it's absolutely a violent sport. It is very much a "barbaric" sport, a "street fight" so to speak. Is it wrong? For my kids, absolutely. For others, I don't know.
As I'm watching OTL, I'm listening to these psychologists talk. They continually mention how these early years of growth and development in these kids are being influenced by fighting and violence. I tend to agree with them.
For my kids, is this a sport they'll participate in? NO WAY!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment