Sunday, July 06, 2008

Soul Cravings...

I love hanging out at Barnes & Noble. Whether it's just looking at magazines or checking out a new book that looks interesting, I'm there quite often. Tonight, I was looking for a book but I couldn't find it and came across an author that I've read before, Erwin McManus. He's pretty good. He talks a lot about passion, ambition, destiny, etc... Pretty much the stuff that really motivates me.

I browsed this new book, "Soul Cravings," a little and noticed it's the kind of book I like; really short chapters. I like these books because they keep my attention. I can read about something, put it down and have time to think about it.

I proceeded to read the 1st chapter or "entry" as he calls it, and I was immediately interested. He began talking about love and characteristics of what love or the lack of love does to us as individuals. He relates how that forms us as an individual and if not nurtured and fed properly, it can cause drastic problems in our lives.

This is a topic that I really have become interested in. With the analytical mind I have, I tend to analyze my life a lot and see what I can do so I don't have future problems. (Unfortunately, this analytical thinking has become somewhat of a problem in my life at times.)

Basically, some areas that came to mind as I read were these:
- love
- commitment
- trust/openness
- intimacy (not sex intimacy)
- heart
- pursuing vs. settling

Hopefully, as I'm able to process through some of this, I can articulate my thoughts on a blog. I really enjoy exploring these topics of life.

*************************

I went to the "Whole Food Market" tonight. Great store. Everything looked fresh and really good. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be shopping there. It's really expensive.

2 comments:

David said...

Sex intimacy? Never heard of it.

Jen in Budapest said...

I'm a sucker for B & N. Sitting there for a few hrs. reading interesting material that you don't own and don't necessarily want to buy at the moment is a great way to spend some down time. McManus did the Miers-Briggs test thingy. I'm a sucker for those tests and that one was very insightful when I took it a few years ago.